KOFTA or KAFTA BI SANIYEH RECIPE
Prep: 20 min; Cook: 1 hr; Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Yield: Serves 6
Used to be prepared in the home and baked in the community oven with potatoes.INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb or beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, parboiled and cut in quarter or thick slices
- 2 cups tightly-packed flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves or 1 tbs dry mint
- 1/3 cup unflavored bread crumbs
- 1 tsp bhar helou, allspice or a mixture of ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt , more to taste
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS water
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F.
- PARBOIL the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes - a fork penetrates, but with difficulty.
- IN a food processor, chop onion extremely fine. Add parsely and mint and until you have a fine - not liquified - homogeneous mixture.
- PLACE the ground lamb or beef in a large bowl.
- ADD the rest of the ingredients except for the potatoes.
- USING your hands mix ingredients well, form into a ball.
- POUR oil into a large and shallow sided baking dish.
- PLACE in oven till hot.
- PLACE meat in center of pan and pat down to a thickness of an inch or so, more if you like.
- PLACE sliced parboiled potatoes around meat.
- BAKE for 30-40 minutes till done to your taste.
- SERVE with laban khayar or a Middle Eastern tomato and cumber salad.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved