The Chef's Vinaigrette. Simple, basic dressing. A delicious classic.
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 6 - 8 TBSP extra virgin olive oil - best you can find and taste it
- 1 tsp mustard (French vinaigrette has this - optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced fine (optional - adds bite)
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
The ratio of olive oil to vinegar is 2 or 3 to one - (some do this in a mixing jar with a tight cover, make double or triple the quantity and keep the extra for other salads. Make sure to increase other ingredients in proportion). Shake well.
Measure vinegar/balsamic vinegar into mixing
Add optional mustard, minced garlic or ginger, salt
and pepper and stir well.
Add the olive oil and mix well
Try different combinations and ratios to best suit your taste.
VARIATION: you can add minced shallots and/or parsley - the French serve this with some meats and fish.