SARDINIAN GNOCCHI RECIPE
Cook: 5 minutes
Gnocchi, Sardinian style.INGREDIENTS:
- 6 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 rounded tsp salt
- generous pinch saffron, dissolved in a little water
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- SIFT the flour into a large bowl; add the salt and the saffron with its water. Gradually add enough water to make a smooth, pliable dough, kneading vigorously until the color of the saffron is well disbursed and no longer leaves streaks of yellow in the dough.
- BREAK off pieces of the dough and roll them into small "sausages" about 4 inch in diameter. Cut these again into short lengths and press them lightly against a fine sieve to make a criss-cross pattern. Spread them out on a large tray sprinkled with flour, and leave them in a dry warm place for 2 days.
- BRING a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi a few at a time. Almost as soon as they rise to the top of the pan they are ready. Remove with slotted spoon, let them drain them thoroughly and transfer them to a deep heated serving dish.
- DRESS generously with tomato sauce and grated Pecorino cheese, and serve immediately.
- FOR this dish it is important that the tomato sauce be well flavored and home-made.
From: Italian Regional Cooking (R)
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved