GNOCCHI PIEDMONT STYLE
Preparation - Medium
Special Gnocchi from the Piedmont region of Italy.INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP all-purpose (plain) flour
- 3 tablespoons semolina
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch sugar
- salt and white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup diced Emmenthal cheese
- 1 small white truffle, finely chopped - optional
- olive oil
- 1 egg, well beaten
- fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 TBSP heavy cream or half and half
- BEAT 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour and the semolina with the egg yolks, grated nutmeg and sugar, and a little salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a pan and gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Bring to the boil and cook over a moderate heat, stirring, for about 15 minutes. The mixture must be so thick that a spoon will stand up in it.
- TAKE the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Let the mixture cool a little, then add the Emmenthal cheese and the truffle, if used. Mix thoroughly and turn out on to a cold sufface (marble, or even a large plate) brushed with olive oil. Smooth out with a wet knife blade until the paste is 1/2 inch thick.
- LEAVE until cold, then cut into diamond shapes. Dip these into flour, egg and finally into breadcrumbs, and deep-fry in plenty of hot olive oil. Drain on paper towels and serve very hot, with additional grated Parmesan and a smooth white sauce into which you have stirred a few tablespoons of heavy (whipping) cream.
Italian Regional Cooking
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved