VEAL SPEZZATINO WITH MUSHROOMS
Prep: 10 min; Cook: 50 min - Easy
Serves 4 - 6
Delicious veal and mushroom stew; serve with polenta or a pasta like fettucine or tagliatelle.INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb. veal, cleaned, deboned, trimmed, cut in bite-size pieces (spezzato)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, porcini if you have them, cleaned and cut in large pieces. You can also use 1/2 cup dried mushrooms, soaked for 1/2 hour.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP good olive oil
- Italian parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Salt && pepper to taste
- IN saucepan on medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until transparent.
- REDUCE heat, add the veal pieces, lightly brown stirring regularly.
- ADD the white wine, cover, cook on low heat for about 20 minutes (the liquid should just be bubbling).
- ADD the mushroom pieces, salt and pepper, and cook, covered for another 20 minutes. You can add a bit of chicken or beef broth here if too dry, or allow to reduce if too wet (some mushrooms have a lot of water in them) until sauce is desired consistency.
- SERVE with polenta or fresh pasta like fettucine or tagliatelle. Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water to moisten the pasta if dish, when served, is too dry. Garnish with fresh chopped parley, if desired.
- NOTE: In the U.S., we tend to put cheese on everything - both the veal and the mushrooms should have a delicate taste which might be masked by using cheese - try a bit first on one part of your plate if you want to use cheese.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved