GRILLED MEAT ON A SKEWER ITALIAN STYLE
Preparation - Easy
Serves 4 generous portions
Choose any 4 of 5 meats/chicken/sausage, remove bones, trim fat. The original recipes usually call for pig's liver, cut in slices, and if you can find it and like it, substitute one of the meat ingredients with the liver.INGREDIENTS:
- 1/3 lb loin of pork, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 1/3 lb chicken breasts, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 1/3 lb Italian sausage, cut in 1" thick pieces
- 1/3 lb leg of lamb, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 1/3 lb sirloin or filet, cut in 1 1/2" cubes -- Choose 4 of 5 above --
- 24 slices bacon cut in 1 1/2" sections
- 24 leaves sage or laurel (bay leaf)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 - 4 juniper berries
- 1/2 tsp salt
- THREAD alternate pieces of pork, chicken, sausage, lamb or beef, interspersed by laurel or sage (different tastes that clash, in my opinion, so you might try alternated skewers if you want to try both flavors) and bacon strips (put the bacon next to the leaner pieces of meat on to each of 8 skewers.
- SPRINKLE each skewer with a little rosemary. Put the skewers in a wide shallow dish, sprinkle them with pepper and pour the olive oil over them. Add the juniper berries and leave for 5 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- BEST cooked on the skewers over a medium charcoal fire until browned on all sides, if possible; or on your gas grill, or under a very hot broiler for 15 minutes, turning frequently. Serve as soon as the meat is cooked, lightly sprinkled with salt.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved