TOMATOES STUFFED WITH RICE, BASIL AND MINT
Preparation - Easy
Prep: 15 - Cook: 45
A delicious accompaniment when tomatoes are in season.INGREDIENTS:
- 4 ripe beef tomatoes (round seems to work best)
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 T chopped chives
- 1 T chopped mint
- 1 T chopped basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the tops of the tomatoes to form lids.
- Without breaking the tomatoes scoop out the insides (reserve) with a teaspoon or serrated grapefruit spoon.
- Wash the rice and then mix it with the chopped herbs, salt, pepper and the chopped insides of the tomatoes.
- Add to this mixture the olive oil and then fill the tomato shells.
- They should be only three quarters full, as the uncooked rice has to have room to expand.
- Put on the lids, place in an oven-proof dish and bake in the oven, basting occasionally with the juices, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid - approximately 45 minutes.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved