Risi e bisi
RICE AND PEA SOUP RECIPE
Venice - Veneto
Preparation - Medium
On April 25, the day of Saint Mark the Evangelist, patron saint of the Venetian Republic, this soup was offered with much pomp to the doge, because the peas represented the arrival of spring and the rice the bonanza offered by the return of warm weather.INGREDIENTS:
- 6 TBSP sweet butter (unsalted)
- 5 oz lean prosciutto, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shelled, fresh small green peas
- 6 1/2 cups hot meat or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the chopped prosciutto, onion, and parsley, and cook for 5 minutes, over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the rice and cook until opaque.
- Add the wine and cook, over low heat, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas, 2 cups broth, salt, and black pepper. (You can use low-sodium canned broth)
- Cover, bring to a boil, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally with a fork, until the broth is absorbed.
- Add 1 more cup of broth.
- When this is absorbed, add the remaining broth and cook until the rice and peas are tender.
- The entire process of cooking, after the rice and peas are added, should take approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and serve immediately.
Northern Italian Cooking
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved