PORK NOODLE SOUP RECIPE
Preparation - medium
You can add all sorts of favorite vegetables to this soup - it is rich and flavorful - as well as a variety of Asian noodles. Good stir-fry practice!INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 ounces medium-size dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
- peeled and minced fresh ginger to taste (we use about 3 TBSP - 1 1/2 inches of thick root
- 1 pound fresh noodles - soba, thin wheat noodles, rice vermicelli, or udon depending on your taste
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces pork butt, trimmed, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry Sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (6 1/2-ounce) can preserved (or make your own) snow cabbage, well drained
- 1 cup drained canned bamboo shoot strips (most of one 8-ounce can)
- OPTIONAL: You can also add: 1/2 chopped bok choi cabbage, 1 cup bean sprouts, water chestnuts...
- PLACE shiitake mushrooms in medium bowl. Add cold water to cover; let soak until soft, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Squeeze mushrooms dry. If not pre-sliced, cut off stems; discard. Thinly slice caps.
- THINLY slice the pork across the grain, then in bite-sized strips.
- COMBINE broth, ginger, and reserved mushroom liquid in large saucepan; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- BOIL noodles in salted water until tender but still firm to bite, about 3 minutes. Drain; divide among 6 bowls.
- HEAT 14-inch-diameter flat-bottomed wok (we have a seasoned, steel wok which yields wonderful results along with lots of smoke) or heavy 12-inch-diameter skillet over high heat until drop of water evaporates on contact. Add 2 tablespoons oil, then pork, spreading evenly. Cook without stirring 20 seconds; then stir-fry pork until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice wine and soy sauce. Transfer to plate.
- ADD remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same wok (do not clean) over high heat. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 1 minute. Add snow cabbage, bamboo shoot strips, and sugar; stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir in pork and any accumulated juices. Stir-fry 1 minute. Top noodles with pork mixture. Divide hot broth among bowls.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved