CARBONARA SAUCE WITH EGGS, BACON AND CHEESE
Rome - Lazio
Preparation - Medium
Prep: 10, Cook: 15; Total time: 35 min
Yield: Serves 4
Carbonara - Prepare with smoked or unsmoked pancetta or bacon, depending on your taste. Carbonara finishes in the pan, so cook the pasta just short of al dente, a bit chewy. The eggs should just curdle.INGREDIENTS:
- 5 oz pancetta (streaky bacon will do if you cannot find pancetta, but I noticed most supermarkets now carry it in the delicatessen department), very small cubes
- 1 TBSP butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese (all Parmesan if you can not find pecorino)
- 1 1/2 to 2 TBSP parsley, chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne or spaghetti
- MELT the butter over medium heat in a pan large enough to eventually hold both the pasta and the sauce.
- AS soon as the butter is melted, add the diced bacon and cook till crisp and light brown.
- AT the same time bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- ADD the pasta and stir to separate with a wooden spoon or fork. Cook till done.
- MEANWHILE, in a bowl, beat the eggs along with the Parmesan, pecorino, lots of freshly ground pepper, and a ¼ tsp of nutmeg or more to taste.
- ADD 1 T parsley to mixture and stir.
- WHEN pasta is done, drain (reserve a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid) and add to the pan with the oil, butter and bacon mixture.
- TURN the heat on to very, very low and add the egg/cheese mixture, stirring continuously for a couple of minutes until eggs are heated through. (They will lose their glassy appearance.)
- SPRINKLE with the remaining parsley.
- REMOVE pan from heat, and serve immediately onto pre-warmed plates.
- PASS extra grated cheese at table if you wish.
- HINT: if mixture is too dry add a little of the pasta water at a time, stirring as you do so.
AMAZON BEST SELLER
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved