TOAST WITH CHICKEN LIVER, PICKLE
AND CAPER SPREAD
Preparation - Medium
Serves - 8
Another version of an old Tuscan dish; it is served with sliced toasted Italian bread. In some parts of Italy the toasted slices are lightly dipped in broth before being spread with the liver mixture.
Our ciabatta bread works well for bruschetta or crostini.
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or more as needed
- 10 oz chicken livers or pheasant livers, cleaned and diced
- 8 fresh sage leaves, chopped, or 6 dried leaves
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 T fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 salt-packed anchovies, cleaned, washed, drained, and chopped, or 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1 tart medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 5 pieces pickled vegetables, such as onions, gherkins, or carrots, cut in small pieces1 t drained capers
- 3 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 piece of celery, 2 to 3 inches long, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 T wine vinegar
- sliced toasted Italian bread
Heat 1/3-cup oil in a skillet and all ingredients except the salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining tablespoon of oil, and the bread.
Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, then remove to a blender; blend until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper.
Return mixture to skillet and simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Add 1 tablespoon or more olive oil to make a smooth, slightly liquid paste; add vinegar to taste.
Serve, hot or at room temperature, on sliced toasted Italian bread.
Note: This can be kept in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for 4 to 5 days.
Italian Cooking in the Grand Tradition
Jo Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto
The Dial Press
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved