TRADITIONAL POT ROAST RECIPE
Preparation - Medium
Use best beef, several cuts work: blade roast, cross-rib roast, seven-bone pot roast, arm pot roast, and boneless chuck roast.INGREDIENTS:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional garnish)
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.
- HEAT olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pot; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pot. Add onion to pot, saute 8 minutes or until tender.
- RETURN browned roast to pot. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pot, bring to a simmer. Cover pot and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.
- ADD carrots and potatoes to pot. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- SERVE: Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pot, discard. Shred meat with 2 forks, or slice to taste. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid (you can leave this on a low simmer for a while for a thicker sauce). Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved