OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN AND POTATOES
Prep: 25 min - Cook: 1 hour 30 min - Total: 2 hour
Yield: Serves 4
One of our favorites, easy to cook, easy to eat, especially the crispy potatoes. The chicken and potatoes are cooked separately to better control browning and doneness.INGREDIENTS:
- 1 3 - 4 lb whole chicken (preferably free-range, tastier and have much less fat)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3 - 4 inch sprig rosemary (optional) or
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. red-skinned potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 3 T Extra virgin olive oil
- Wash chicken under cold running water. Pat dry.
- Place lemon, rosemary or bay leaf and 3 whole unpeeled garlic cloves in cavity along with salt and pepper.
- Close chicken cavity.
- Peel 2 garlic cloves. Slice in half.
- Lift skin off breast and slip garlic under skin.
- Season the surface of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place in roasting pan along with 3-4 tablespoons of water.
- Peel potatoes and slice in 1 1/2-2 inch thick pieces.
- Dry off on kitchen or paper towel.
- Place 3 T olive oil in a second roasting pan.
- Place in oven.
- When hot, remove.
- Add potatoes, shake well to cover with the hot oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Place both pans, chicken and potatoes, in 450 deg. oven.
- Cook for 1/2 hour.
- Reduce heat to 375 deg. F.
- Remove potatoes and toss occasionally for even browning. Potatoes may be done before chicken.
- Check chicken occasionally making sure drippings are not burning. Rotate chicken 180 degrees. If liquid in pan dries up add a few more tablespoons of water.
- Cook for another hour or till chicken cooked through. Test with a thermometer or by placing a fork in the joint of the thigh, if juice runs clear chicken is cooked
- Remove from oven allowing chicken to rest 10 minutes before serving.
If potatoes have been removed earlier, return potatoes to hot oven for a few minutes before serving. Combine and serve on warm platter.
Gastronomy of Italy
Anna Del Conte
Prentice Hall Press
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved