MUSSEL SOUP WITH GARLIC TOAST
Preparation - Medium; Prep: 15 - Cook: 25
Serves 4 - 6
You can use mussels, small clams or both in this deliciously satisfying soup, served in individual bowls. One more way to use up leftover bread. Serve it with a green salad and some extra toasted bread and there you have it.INGREDIENTS:
- 4 lbs clams or mussels
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 T tomato paste (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 t crushed oregano, or 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices Italian style country bread per person, 1 inch thick, toasted
- Clean shellfish, discard any broken or open ones.
- Place water to a depth of 1/2 an inch in a heavy pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Drop mussels in and cover, steaming them open over very high heat.
- Remove from pan, discarding any that are still closed. Place in a warm bowl.
- Reserve the liquid and strain through cheesecloth to catch any sand that might have been released by mussels.
- Toast the bread.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and lightly brown the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste stirring with a wooden spoon and sprinkle on the oregano.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, the liquid released from the mussels as well as a few grinds of the pepper mill. Simmer gently for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the mussels and heat through.
- Brush the bread with a clove of garlic and place in individual bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the bread.
- Sprinkle with parsley if you wish.
AMAZON BEST SELLER
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved