CIOPPINO - ITALIAN FISH SOUP
Preparation - Medium
Prep Time: Prep:20m; Cook: 2 1/2 Hours Total: 2hr 50m.
By: +Lo Chef.
Use best and freshest ingredients when possible. If in doubt about a spice, use a fraction of the amount specified - you can always add more to taste.
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 small stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/4 smallfresh fennel bulb, chopped (about 2 T), or use 1/2 t anice
- 28 oz can crushed italian tomatoes with liquid (or chop whole, peeled tomatoes, preserving liquid)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cups fresh water
- 1 T salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1 t fresh basil, chopped fine (or about 1/3 t dried)
- 1/2 t fresh oregano, chopped fine (or about 1/4 t dried)
- 1/4 t fresh thyme, chopped fine (or a pinch of dried)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 dried hot pepper (peperonocino), or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb white fish (halibut, boston scrod, red snapper), skinned, boned, cut in bite sized pieces
- 12 lg shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 lg scallops, cleaned
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 12 sm clams in shell, scrubbed or 6 oz canned clams
- 6 oz cooked crab meat, or 6 oz can
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- (optional) thick slices toasted italian or french bread, put in bottom of soup bowls before adding cioppino
- HEAT 3 T of the olive oil in a large heavy pan with cover over medium heat. Add onions and saute until transparent, about a minute. Do not brown. Add the chopped carrot, diced green pepper, chopped leek, chopped celery and chopped fennel and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes (with their liquid), tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne pepper.
- SIMMER over low heat until reduced, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Sauce can be covered and kept warm over low heat for several hours longer. Stir occasionally.) Remove bay leaves.
- HEAT 3 T olive oil in a skillet (with a cover for the next step) over high heat. Add garlic and cook 5 seconds. Immediately add fish, shrimp and scallops. Saute until just cooked through, 2-4 minutes. Add seafood to sauce and stir gently.
- POUR wine into skillet and cook 30 seconds over medium heat, stirring up any loose bits. Add clams to skillet. Cover and cook until clams open, 2-6 minutes. Transfer clams as they open to sauce. Discard any that do not open. Gently stir crab meat into sauce.
- TASTE for seasoning.
- COVER and heat cioppino on medium heat until all seafood is hot, about 2-3 minutes.
- LADLE into warmed serving bowl or directly into warmed soup plates. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved