SHRIMP SCAMPI RISOTTO
Venice - Veneto
Preparation - Medium
The word scampi originally comes from the Venetian dialect name for the type of shrimp that are plentiful in the northern Adriatic sea.INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups shrimp boullion - see cooking instructions.
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil, or 2 T unsalted butter (depending on your own taste)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Aborio rice
- 1 cup white wine (or you can substitute the shrimp bouillon, if you wish)
- 2 T tomato fresh sauce (or commercial sauce like 'Pomi')
- 2 T butter additional (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- YOU can either boil the heads and shells of very fresh shrimp in 2 cups water to get a bouillon for the risotto, or boil the shrimp whole, reserve the water, peel and devein the shrimp, removing the heads, serve the shrimp as a separate course and return the heads and shells to the water, reducing to make 2 cups bouillon.
- IN the olive oil or butter, sautée the onion and garlic until golden. Add the rice, stirring well so that it is coated with the oil.
- REDUCE heat to medium, add 1 cup white wine (use a good wine that you would drink at table). Return to a very low simmer, stirring often.
- STIR in the 2 T of fresh tomato sauce.
- AS the rice begins to absorb the liquid and soften, add the bouillon a little at a time, until the rice is done to your taste.
- OPTIONALLY stir in two additional T butter, and the Parmesan cheese
- POUR risotto into warm serving bowl, garnish with parsley, serve.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved