CHICKEN ALFREDO RECIPE
with leftover chicken.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
Yield: Serves 4
Chicken Alfredo using leftover chicken... serve it with the chicken on top of, or beside the Fettuccine Alfredo, or cut in morsels, then mixed with the fettuccine and sauce at the end. Another variation is adding a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and finishing in the oven. You can also (optionally) add cooked, diced red pepper. You can use fettuccine, taglietelle, mostaccioli, penne or farfalle pasta.
Chicken Alfredo tastes best if you combine pasta and sauce when they are just ready.INGREDIENTS:
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut in slices about 1/4 " thick then in bite-size morsels
- 3 - 4 leaves of sage
- 1 red pepper, seeded, coarsley diced, sautéed in olive oil or butter (optional)
- 8 oz pasta (fettuccine, tagliatelle) or 12 oz (3/4 package) penne, etc. (fettuccine is heavier).
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (or 2 of olive oil for sauteeing the chicken and 2 of butter for the sauce)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), at room temperature, plus extra cheese to pass at the table
- 1 1/4 cup Half and Half (mixture of light and heavy cream)
- salt and freshly ground pepper (use white pepper if you have it)
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- SET the pasta water to boil in your pasta pot.
- IN the large sauté pan large enough to hold all the ingredients, sauté the diced chicken in 2 tablespoons of butter until lightly browned, or heat in microwave. Set chicken aside on a warm plate.
- COOK the pasta.
- TIP: Remember to reserve some of the cooking water to moisten your chicken Alfredo if it is too dry.
- IN the sauté pan: ADD the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese to the same pan. Keep cooking on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture reduces slightly and thickens.
- ADD pinch of nutmeg, 3 - 4 leaves of sage, salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- ADD the cooked chicken and optional ingredients and mix again. Taste for salt. Add a TBSP or two of the pasta cooking water if too dry.
- ADD the cooked and well-drained pasta to the sauce. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- TURN into a warmed serving bowl, or directly onto warmed plates.
- VARIATION: Turn pasta mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese on top, and set under broiler for about 30 seconds, until flecked with brown.
- PASS grated Parmesan at the table.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved