ROAST GUINEA FOWL, PHEASANT
OR CORNISH GAME HEN RECIPE
Prep: 20 min;Cook: 90 min; Total Time: 1 hr 50 min
Yield: Serves 4
You may also use this recipe for pheasant, guinea fowl, Cornish game hens or free range chicken.INGREDIENTS:
- Hen pheasant, guinea fowl, Cornish game hens, or free range chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 rib of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 chicken liver
- 1 tsp of tomato concentrate
- 1 cup of red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- CUT the bird into several pieces and chop the onion, carrot and celery.
- IN a heavy bottomed pan heat the olive oil, add the chopped vegetables and bay leaves and let them soften.
- ADD the pieces of the fowl and let them brown, seasoning them with salt and pepper.
- ADD some of the red wine and the cleaned chicken liver; leave the pan to simmer until the chicken liver is cooked through.
- REMOVE the liver and chop it into small pieces; mix these with the tomato concentrate and a little wine and return it to the pan; stir it well into the vegetables. Cover the pan and let it cook gently until the bird is tender, adding more wine if necessary.
- TO SERVE, put the pieces of fowl on a plate and pour a little of the sauce around them. Silvana would have cooked the pheasant first with olive oil and water to make the bird more tender but in the recipe above this step is omitted, as elsewhere pheasant is usually hung for a greater period of time.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved