CHICKEN PARMESAN RECIPE
Total time: 35 min
Yield: 4 - 6
We have streamlined this recipe for chicken parmesan; it is easy to make, goes with almost anything.INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 - 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs (can be seasoned with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired) - you can also use plain flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or cooking oil of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Italian tomato sauce like plain tomato sauce, or tomato sauce with oregano (or use your favorite prepared sauce)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- TRIM and carefully slice the chicken breasts in half.
- OPTIONAL, for thinner cutlets: with the flat side of a cleaver or a heavy skillet (you can also use a roller or even a wine bottle), pound or roll the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to the desired thickness (usually about 1/4").
- SPREAD the bread crumbs on a flat plate.
- PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F.
- SET the tomato sauce on low heat to warm (it will spread more easily).
- THOROUGLY coat cutlets with bread crumbs (press down firmly while coating with bread crumbs).
- ON medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Sautee the breaded cutlets until they are deep golden brown on both sides. Remove to paper towel spread over old newspaper to drain.
- PLACE 1/2 cup of the warm tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish large enough to hold the cutlets in one layer. Add the cooked cutlets to the baking dish; cover with the rest of the tomato sauce of the warm tomato sauce and the sliced/grated mozzarella.
- COOK the chicken parmesan in the oven for ten minutes. If the cheese has not melted/browned you can slip it under the broiler for a minute or so - keep an eye on it so the cheese does not burn.
- VARIATION: For a thicker 'crust' bread the cutlets by dipping them first in flour, then in a beaten, raw egg before the breadcrumbs and sautéeing, which gives a thicker crust. You will want to move each one to the hot skillet when breaded so they don't get soggy.
- SERVE with grated Parmesan cheese. Goes great with a side of pasta and a green salad and or French/Italian bread, or garlic bread.
AMAZON BEST SELLER
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved