CHICKEN, CHORIZO & TORTILLA
Total time: 1 hr
Yield: Serves 4
You can use leftover chicken for this tasty recipe - great for guests.INGREDIENTS:
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil (canola or similar) or cooking spray
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (dark meat gives more flavor to this dish, you can also use any part of the chicken, or leftovers, or turkey)
- 3 hot or sweet chorizo sausages, or equivalent
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, separated (2 cooking steps and garnish)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed, or 1 small can, drained and rinsed (about 8 oz.)
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened, OR yoghurt
- pinch of red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, sparingly, to taste
- a few grinds black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided in 2 parts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño pepper
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- PREHEAT oven to 425 deg. F. rack in middle.
- Make sure your items are ready: onion and garlic chopped, cilantro cleaned and chopped, cheddar shredded, etc.
- IF USING FRESH CHICKEN:
IN an oven proof skillet, heat 1 TBSP canola oil. Sauté chicken for 8 -10 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides.
PUT skillet in oven; bake at 425 deg. F for 10 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred. Discard bones.
- IF USING LEFTOVER CHICKEN:
Separate pieces of chicken, sauté briefly to add flavor (optional).
- REMOVE skin from chorizo, sauté until brown, stirring occasionally.
- CONTINUE - PUT cooked chicken and chorizo in a medium bowl. ADD 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, corn, 1/3 cup cream cheese or yoghurt, red pepper, cummin, salt (carefully, some ingredients already have salt in them), black pepper to chicken; toss to combine.
- RETURN empty skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup onion; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 garlic cloves; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly until onion is transparent or light gold, not browned. ADD onion mixture to chicken mixture; stir to combine.
- PREPARE SALSA MIXTURE: in separate saucepan, combine remaining 1 1/2 cups onion, remaining 3 garlic cloves, 1 cup broth, salsa, 1/4 cup water, and jalapeño in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- REDUCE heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat - mixture should be fairly liquid. let stand 10 minutes. Carefully pour salsa mixture into a blender; add 2 tablespoons cilantro. Process until smooth.
- CUT tortillas in quarters and toast to 'crispy' in toaster, oven (325º oven, middle rack for 10 - 15 mins, turn once), or skillet on stovetop.
- LIGHTLY coat the bottom of the casserole with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- LAYER ingredients into baking dish (larger dish, fewer layers, we use a single layer of chicken, but your choice): salsa - 1/2 of tortilla quarters - chicken - other 1/2 of tortillas - salsa) then sprinkle shredded cheddar on top.
- BAKE at 425º for 15 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
AMAZON BEST SELLER
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved