Rigatoni alla boscaiola
Preparation - Medium
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, peeled, seed and chopped (best with fresh tomatoes, or use 14 oz canned plum tomatoes)
- 2 medium eggplants sliced about 3/4 on an inch thick
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cleaned of soil, and sliced
- 2 T cooking oil such as corn oil (to sautÃ© eggplant)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- basil, 5 or 6 leaves, whole
- freshly ground black pepper, salt
- 1 lb rigatoni, penne, pennette or, farfalle
- 6 quarts water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Â Large sautÃ© pan, pasta pot.
PREPARE eggplant and fry, one layer at a time, in the vegetable oil until browned on both sides. Another method is to place eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet, oiling the top side of the eggplant as well with a pastry brush or oil spray, and bake in a moderately hot oven till browned - 450°F for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent getting them too browned. Remove, cut into cubes and set aside.
ADD 1 T olive oil to skillet, sautÃ© mushrooms until soft, drain and set aside.
HEAT remaining olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
ADD the chopped garlic and fresh basil.
SAUTÉ over low heat for 4 or 5 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Do not burn garlic.
ADD the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 20 minutes.
COOK the pasta.
WHEN done, drain and place in a warm serving bowl.
ADD the tomato sauce and toss.
FINALLY, add the eggplant and mushrooms and toss lightly.
PASS the grated Parmesan at table.