Rigatoni alla boscaiola
Preparation - Medium
Large sauté pan, pasta pot.
PREPARE eggplant and fry, one layer at a time, in the vegetable oil until browned on both sides. Another method is to place eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet, oiling the top side of the eggplant as well with a pastry brush or oil spray, and bake in a moderately hot oven till browned - 450°F for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent getting them too browned. Remove, cut into cubes and set aside.
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, peeled, seed and chopped (best with fresh tomatoes, or use 14 oz canned plum tomatoes)
- 2 medium eggplants sliced about 3/4 on an inch thick
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cleaned of soil, and sliced
- 2 T cooking oil such as corn oil (to sauté eggplant)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- basil, 5 or 6 leaves, whole
- freshly ground black pepper, salt
- 1 lb rigatoni, penne, pennette or, farfalle
- 6 quarts water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
ADD 1 T olive oil to skillet, sauté mushrooms until soft, drain and set aside.
HEAT remaining olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
ADD the chopped garlic and fresh basil.
SAUTÉ over low heat for 4 or 5 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Do not burn garlic.
ADD the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 20 minutes.
COOK the pasta.
WHEN done, drain and place in a warm serving bowl.
ADD the tomato sauce and toss.
FINALLY, add the eggplant and mushrooms and toss lightly.
PASS the grated Parmesan at table.