Pappardelle al sugo di fagioli rossi
A complete and satisfying meal.
Saucepan, frying pan, pasta pot, strainer.
- 1 15 1/2 oz cans red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 whole, 1 chopped
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 6 thick slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 leaves fresh sage
- 3 T olive oil
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- l lb fresh pasta, wide egg noodles, tagliatelle or fettucine (available in most markets in the cold food section)
- 6 quarts water
- Cook beans, in water to cover along with 1 garlic clove for about 1/2 an hour. Add water as needed. Remove garlic clove.
- In another saucepan, sauté onion in olive oil till translucent.
- Add bacon, chopped garlic and sauté till onion golden.
- Puree 2/3 of the bean mixture with some of the cooking liquid in a blender or food processor.
- Add pureed beans along with remaining whole beans to the onion/bacon mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta.
- Remove and drain lightly, reserving 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Place in a warm bowl along with the bean mixture, fresh sage leaves and Parmesan cheese.
- Combine well and serve. Add a tablespoon or two of the cooking liquid if pasta seems too dry.