BRUSSEL SPROUTS & CHESTNUTS
Preparation - Easy
Saucepan, heavy skillet.
- 20 roasted CHESTNUTS broken in large pieces (can be bought ready in jars)
- 1 1/2 lbs small BRUSSEL SPROUTS, thoroughly washed
- 1 TBS MUSTARD SEED
- 2 TBS TURKEY DRIPPINGS
- 2 GARLIC cloves minced
- 2 TBS fresh PARSLEY, chopped
- 4 TBS BUTTER
- pinch SALT
- PEPPER, couple of turns with the grinder
- REMOVE outer leaves from Brussel sprouts and wash well.
- COOK sprouts in a large pot of simmering water (bring water to a boil before adding Brussel sprouts.
- SIMMER for 4 to 5 minutes.
- DRAIN well and cut in each sprout in half.
- HEAT drippings and butter in a heavy skillet.
- WHEN bubbling add the sprouts, chestnuts and the mustard seeds.
- SAUTÉ over high heat for 3 minutes or more till sprouts are lightly brown stirring occasionally.
- ADD the garlic, parsley salt and pepper.
- SAUTÉ a further minute or two.
- SERVE in a preheated dish.