TOMATO SOUP WITH PASTA RECIPE
Preparation - Easy; Prep: 15 - Cook: 45
Serves 4 - 5
Delicious, especially with fresh, ripe tomatoes.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 5 ripe tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped, or 1 14/15 oz tin plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 oz ditalini or other small tubular pasta
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
PASS Parmesan at the table.
- HEAT the oil in a saucepan, preferably earthenware, and gently sauté the garlic until golden. Remove and discard the garlic.
- ADD the tomatoes, onion and half the chopped parsley. Sauté gently for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- ADD 7 cups of water, salt and plenty of ground pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, over very low heat for about 20 minutes.
- RAISE the heat and drop in the pasta. Cook until al dente and then add the remaining parsley before serving.