GARLIC, OLIVE OIL AND
Spaghetti ajo-ojo peperoncino; aglio olio
HOT PEPPER RECIPE
Preparation - Easy
Prep: 10 min -
Cook: 10 min -
Total: 20 min
Yield: Serves 4
Any pasta (usually spaghetti), olive oil, garlic, hot pepper and you have a quick, easy and satisfying dish.
Pasta pot, wok or frying pan large enough for all ingredients (pasta goes into pan at the end).
- 6 quarts water
- salt to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti, linguine, vermicelli, or other long thin pasta
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 - 8 garlic cloves, minced or whole - more to taste
- 1 small dried hot red chili, broken into 2 or 3 pieces, or 1/4 t hot red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 3 TBS minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 anchovy fillets (crushed), or a squeeze from a tube of anchovy paste (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- SAUTÉ garlic gently on low heat until golden brown - careful not to burn it. About 4-5 minutes.
- ADD the red pepper and parsley and sauté for a few more minutes.
- ADD a squeeze of anchovy paste (or 2 whole anchovies mashed with a fork) and stir, maintain on low heat until pasta is ready.
- WHEN the pasta is almost done, drain it in a colander and turn it immediately into the pan, mixing the pasta and sauce together well. Serve on warm plates.
- Garnish with freshly-chopped parsley if desired
- USUALLY not served with Parmesan - to your own taste.