GNOCCHI WITH SPINACH, RICOTTA AND FLOUR
Preparation - Medium
Serves 2 - 4
I have not succeeded in making spinach and ricotta gnocchi without flour (as set forth in the other 3 spinach and ricotta recipes on this website). I therefore offer this recipe, which includes flour to provide a drier, more cohesive mixture.
Food processor or mixing bowl and strong elbow; pasta pot.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 10 oz (1 package frozen) spinach
- 2 egg yolks
- 14 oz ricotta
- 1 t nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste (purists use white pepper)
- HAVE the sauce of your choice ready (these gnocchi have a wonderful, delicate taste and can be served with a bit of melted butter or a few drops of good olive oil, and grated Parmesan):
SIMPLE TOMATO SAUCE
TOMATO SAUCE WITH OREGANO
BUTTER AND SAGE
- DEFROST the spinach (or clean and cook and equivalent amount of fresh spinach). Get the excess water out of the spinach by squeezing hard in your hands (over the sink!) or sauteeing gently without oil in a frying pan. Chop fairly finely. I don't cook the spinach, but you can if you wish, draining thoroughly when done.
- EITHER: combine the spinach, cheese, egg yolks, nutmeg, salt a pepper in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Slowly add the flour until you have a soft dough.
- OR combined finely chopped spinach, ricotta, egg yolks, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add flour until you have a soft dough that is not too sticky.
- IN a large pot, set 5 - 6 quarts of water to boil.
- TURN out the mixture on a floured surface.
- DIVIDE to mixture into 3 or 4 parts.
- WITH your hands, roll each part into long cylinders about the thickness of a cigar.
- CUT the cylinders into 1 inch segments. Make a small depression in each gnoccho to catch the sauce.
- WHEN ready to cook, add 2 T salt to the boiling water, and add the gnocchi, a few at a time. They will float to the surface when cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a dish towel to drain.
- SERVE as individual portions, adding the sauce in the kitche, OR place cooked gnocchi in a warmed serving bowl and mix with the sauce of your choice.
- HAVE grated parmesan on the table.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved