FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS
Fiori di zucchini ripieni
Prep: 25; Cook: 20
Zucchini blossoms can be fried by themselves, or stuffed and fried.
For the batter:
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for frying
For the stuffing:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 9 oz (about 1 cup) fresh ricotta cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- generous pinch of nutmeg
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- a paste of breadcrumbs, olive oil, chopped parsley, chopped anchovies or prosciutto, dash of black pepper
- thin slices of mozzarella with thin slices of prosciutto or anchovy.
Mixing bowl, deep frying.
- bechamel sauce with grated gruyere cheese, cooked, ground meat or cooked, chopped mushrooms
- MAKE the batter: Beat the eggs, stir in the flour evenly, then gradually add the water to make a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- CLEAN the flowers carefully - gently wash and dry the outside, and make sure there are no insects inside. Prepare the filling by mixing thoroughly together the ricotta, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chives, egg and Parmesan. Use spoonfuls of this mixture to fill the flowers.
- DIP the flowers into batter and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- DRAIN on paper towels.
Per serving: Calories 416 - Protein 9g - Total Fat 26g - Sodium 94mg - Cholesterol 321mg - Carbohydrates 37g - Fiber - 0