Osso Bucco Recipe
Preparation - Medium; Prep: 15 - Cook: 35
THE pan should be a heavy, flat bottomed pan large enough to hold all the slices of shin side by side in one layer, and have a tight fitting cover.
- 4 slices of shin of veal cut 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3/4 cup white wine, or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of a thick tomato sauce, like 'Pomi' or passato di pomodoro - (you could also use ketchup, in a pinch)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a few small capers
- ON medium heat soften the sliced garlic in the olive oil.
- BROWN the slices of shin on both sides
- ADD the wine (or broth) and the tomato conserve and season with the salt and pepper.
- COVER and cook very slowly (as in 'braising') until tender, 25 - 35 minutes.
- IF the dish shows any signs of sticking during the cooking time moisten it with more wine and tomato.
- THREE or four minutes from the end of cooking sprinkle the capers on top of the meat.