TUSCAN COUNTRY CHICKEN
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 1 hr 30 min; Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
Yield: Serves 4
Delicious Tuscan country chicken with lemon and bay leaves.
Large, shallow roasting pan, roasting rack, toothpicks or skewers to secure cavity.
- 1 3-4 lb chicken
- 12 fresh bay leaves or 6 dry bay leaves, more to taste
- 1/2 lemon, in two
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 sliced in two
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- TAKE chicken out of fridge and let stand, covered, for about an hour before cooking.
- PREHEAT oven to 400 deg F.
- RINSE chicken thoroughly in cold water inside and out.
- PLACE quarter lemons, salt, pepper, whole garlic clove and a bay leaf in cavity. Secure shut with a couple of toothpicks or a wooden skewer.
- SEPARATE skin from breast. Insert bay leaves into breast between skin and meat.
- PLACE 1/2 clove garlic in hollow of thigh.
- SALT and pepper front and back of chicken.
- PLACE on rack in a shallow pan in preheated oven, adding about 1/4 inch hot water to pan to keep drippings from burning, roast for 1 1/2 hours, adding water occasionally as it evaporates.
- REDUCE heat to 350 and cook another 1/4 to an hour till done. Chicken is done when thigh moves back and forth easily, and juices run clear.
- REMOVE from oven, place on platter and serve. Best if you let stand for about ten minutes after cooking.
- GRAVY: Add 1/2 cup of water to concentrated juices left in pan, scraping with wooden spoon to loosen any sticky bits. Reduce if necessary.