CHICKEN WITH FORTY CLOVES OF GARLIC RECIPE
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 min
Preparation - Easy
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
Classic "Chicken 40 Cloves" recipe - easy to make, great for a dinner party of garlic lovers!
Stew pot or casserole with tight cover.
- 1 whole (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut up in 6 or 8 pieces, or chicken parts of your choice
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 2 or more heads garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled
- 1/2 cup minced fresh italian (broadleaf) parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, chicken, meat, or vegetable stock, or water
- RINSE chicken in cold water, pat dry with paper towels.
- PLACE chicken, olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and cinnamon or allspice in the bottom of a large saucepan, casserole, or Dutch oven. Pour the liquid over all and mix together.
- TURN the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low (a low simmer), cover, cook for about an hour, until chicken and garlic are tender. Serve in casserole or in pre-warmed platter, garnish with parsley, serve with good french or italian bread. Spread garlic on bread for a treat.