TORTA SBRISOLANA FROM MANTOVA
Lombardy - Mantova
Preparation - Medium
Mixing bowl, 10" round cake pan.
- 1 3/4 cups ground almonds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups fine-ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 or 3 drops vanilla extract
- 10 tbsp butter at room temperature
- the grated zest of 1 lemon
- confectioners' sugar for decoration
- In a bowl mix the ground almonds, the two flours and the sugar. Lightly beat the egg yolks with the vanilla and add to the flour mixture, working with your hands until small crumbs are formed. Add the softened butter and the lemon zest and knead until it is completely incorporated into the mixture. The dough will not be smooth but will have a very crumbly consistency.
- Butter a 10 inch round cake pan and sprinkle the mixture evenly into it. Bake in a preheated oven (350 deg. F) for about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Gastronomy of Italy
Anna Del Conte
Prentice Hall Press