Preparation - Medium
For lasagna, etc.
2 heavy saucepans, wooden (non-reactive) spoon.
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk heated
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Heat milk the milk in a saucepan or in the microwave and keep hot.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over very low heat till just bubbling.
- Remove from heat making sure butter does not turn brown or burn.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon till smooth then add the rest of the flour and stir till smooth.
- Return to medium heat and add 1/4 cup of milk at a time. When milk is absorbed by the butter-flour mixture, add a little more increasing quantities as you go along.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and continue stirring with the sauce at a slow bubble till sauce has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Remove from heat.