LENTILS WITH RICE OR CRACKED WHEAT
Mjedderah, 'Addis majroush
AND ONIONS RECIPE
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 60 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Easy, needs patience.
Yield: Serves 4
Soak the lentils for two hours before cooking to shorten cooking time.
Large sauté pan, covered saucepan.
- 1 cup green french lentils if available, rinsed in cold water - soaked up to two hours to reduce cooking time.
- 1/3 cup coarse burghul, rinsed in cold water
- 3 large onions, one coarsely chopped and the rest quartered & sliced
- 3-4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp bhar helou (if available) or allspice
- Dash of ground black pepper
- HEAT 2 TBS olive oil in large skillet.
- ADD chopped onions, reduce heat and cook till golden stirring occasionally.
- REMOVE and set aside.
- PLACE remainder of olive oil in skillet and heat.
- ADD sliced onions and sauté over medium-low heat stirring frequently till onions have caramelized - about 1 hour.
- WHILE onions are browning....
- RINSE lentils thoroughly. To reduce cooking time soak for a couple of hours (the older the lentils are the longer they need to cook).
- PLACE lentils in pot, add water and spices, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- COOK for 1/2 an hour.
- ADD burghul and cook covered till tender another 1/2 hour or more.
- WHEN desired doneness is reached, remove from heat and spread on platter.
- LET cool, should be served at room temperature.
Serve with yogurt or yogurt and cucumber and/or tomato and cucumber salad.